This class is intended to introduce to the students a wide range of programming tools using the R language. Tentative list of topics that will be discussed in this class are listed below:
- Reproducible research: knitr and rmarkdown
- Version control: GitHub
- Introduction to programming: Data structures, logical operators, control structures and functions
- Visualizations: Exploratory data analysis with Base R and ggplot2
- R packages: Construction of R-packages using devtools, roxygen2 and
- Communication: webiste creation via blogdown, Web application via shiny
- Web scraping: Automatic extraction of data from websites using SelectorGadget, rvest and quantmod, regular expression
- High performance computing: R and C++ integration via Rcpp, parallel computing.
No IT background is assumed from the students but a strong will to learn useful and practical programming skills.